Senator says viral video was edited to misrepresent his remarks as governor calls alleged threat a national security concern.

Senator Francis Fadahunsi has denied inciting violence ahead of Saturday’s Osun State governorship election, dismissing a viral video allegedly showing him calling for the killing of Accord Party members in Ilesa.

Fadahunsi, in a statement on Tuesday, described the video as a “deliberate misrepresentation” of his remarks, insisting that he was responding to alleged attacks on members of the All Progressives Congress in Ilesa.

The senator said his statement was that the APC would retaliate if the alleged killings of its members continued.

“What I said was that if the alleged killing of our party members by Accord Party thugs does not stop, our party will retaliate,” Fadahunsi said.

He accused those who circulated the video of editing portions of his speech to achieve political objectives, insisting that he was referring to what he described as continued violence against APC supporters.

Fadahunsi said his party would not “fold its arms and watch” if its members were attacked, adding that it would defend its supporters even if such incidents occurred on election day.

However, Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has called for the immediate arrest and investigation of the senator, describing the alleged remarks as a threat to national security.

Speaking at a press conference on Tuesday, Adeleke accused Fadahunsi of inciting violence and what he described as “genocide” against Accord Party members.

“This is now beyond politics. This is now a national security threat,” Adeleke said, adding that he had raised the matter with the Inspector-General of Police, Tunji Disu.

The governor said the IGP had confirmed the video and assured him that action would be taken.

Adeleke also called on the police and the Department of State Services to investigate Fadahunsi, insisting that no individual, regardless of political status, should be above the law.

The governor further urged the police to halt what he described as illegal operations by the Intelligence Response Team, alleging that Accord Party leaders had been arrested across local government areas without justification.

The dispute comes just days before the August 15 governorship election, with political tensions rising as the major parties intensify campaigns and accuse one another of violence and intimidation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *