ADC presidential candidate questions how ₦15.8tn subsidy savings have been utilised under Tinubu.
African Democratic Congress (ADC) presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, has vowed to restore fuel subsidy if elected President in the 2027 general elections.
Atiku made the pledge during a Hausa-language interview on Wednesday, arguing that the removal of the subsidy had failed to improve the living conditions of Nigerians.

The former Vice President said he initially supported the removal of the subsidy but changed his position based on developments since the policy was scrapped by President Bola Tinubu in May 2023.
Atiku questioned how the savings from subsidy removal had been utilised, following the Federal Government’s disclosure that the policy generated ₦15.8 trillion for the Federation between June 2023 and December 2025.
He promised to restore the subsidy if elected and vowed to recover any public funds allegedly stolen from the scheme.
According to Atiku, the savings should have been used to improve healthcare, education, security, infrastructure and youth empowerment.
He also criticised what he described as corruption and injustice among political leaders, arguing that Nigerians would benefit more if public resources were properly managed.
The former Vice President said his administration would investigate the management of subsidy funds and compel anyone found to have diverted public money to return it.
President Tinubu announced the removal of petrol subsidy during his inauguration on May 29, 2023, describing the scheme as unsustainable.
The Federal Government has continued to defend the policy, saying it has reduced fiscal pressure and increased resources available for the three tiers of government.

