Governor directs security agencies to track attackers as government withholds operational details and warns against unverified reports.
The Niger State Government has condemned the abduction of worshippers during Friday prayers in Dekara District of Borgu Local Government Area, describing the attack as a serious threat to peace and security in the state.
The incident occurred on Friday, August 21, 2026, when suspected terrorists reportedly invaded Gidan-Zana and Kpenya communities during Juma’at prayers at Kpenya Mosque and abducted an unspecified number of worshippers.

The Niger State Police Command earlier confirmed the attack, saying some worshippers escaped into surrounding forests while security personnel were deployed to assess the situation and commence rescue efforts.
Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago expressed concern over the incident and directed relevant authorities to work with security agencies to secure the safe release of the abducted persons and restore normalcy in the affected communities.
Governor Bago condemned the targeting of innocent residents and places of worship, warning that terrorism, banditry, kidnapping and other criminal activities would not be allowed to undermine the peace and development of Niger State.
The government said a joint security operation had been mobilised to track the perpetrators and facilitate the rescue of the victims, but declined to disclose details of the deployment because of the sensitive nature of the operation.
It added that the exact number of abducted persons and other details of the attack were still being verified, urging residents to avoid circulating unconfirmed casualty figures and speculative reports that could heighten tension or compromise security operations.
Governor Bago reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to protecting lives and property, while directing stronger collaboration among security agencies, traditional institutions and community leaders to improve intelligence gathering and early-warning mechanisms.
The government urged residents to remain vigilant and provide credible information to security agencies. It also advised citizens to avoid unnecessary movement into areas considered security-sensitive until the situation is brought under control.
The Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Obed Nuhu Nana, said further verified information would be released as the security situation develops.

