FCT minister says subsidy removal increased government revenue, improved salary and pension payments.
The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has defended the Federal Government’s removal of fuel subsidy, accusing former Vice President Atiku Abubakar of inconsistency over his position on the policy.
Wike spoke on Thursday in Abuja while inspecting ongoing infrastructure projects in the FCT, recalling that Atiku had promised to remove fuel subsidy within his first 100 days in office if elected president in 2023.

He questioned Atiku’s current position on restoring the subsidy, arguing that the former vice president should explain why he now supports reversing a policy he previously described as necessary.
Wike also criticised Atiku’s proposed return to fuel subsidy, saying the Petroleum Industry Act and the commercialisation of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited had fundamentally changed Nigeria’s petroleum sector.
According to him, restoring government-controlled fuel prices could undermine the commercial direction of the industry, discourage investment and recreate problems associated with subsidy, including smuggling, arbitrage and fiscal inefficiency.
Defending President Bola Tinubu’s subsidy removal, Wike said the reform had increased resources available to the Federal Government, states and local governments through higher Federation Account allocations.
He challenged state and local governments to account for how the additional revenue had been utilised, adding that increased government resources had improved the payment of salaries and pensions.
Wike also dismissed suggestions that Atiku was among the leading opposition contenders for the 2027 presidential election, insisting that Tinubu remained the dominant candidate.
He argued that the opposition was less united than it was in 2023 and therefore lacked the strength to defeat the ruling All Progressives Congress.
On security in Abuja, the minister rejected claims of a rise in armed robbery, saying available security reports did not support the assertion. He acknowledged isolated incidents and said security agencies were responding to them.
Wike also disclosed that the Department of State Services had tracked an individual allegedly impersonating security personnel and using fake materials to harass residents.
Speaking on infrastructure, the minister expressed satisfaction with the progress of ongoing projects in the FCT, saying several major projects were expected to be completed before the end of the year.
He also declined to accept responsibility for complaints about the performance of some Area Council chairmen, noting that they were elected by residents and should be held accountable by their constituents.
