University says violence and jungle justice are unacceptable as it launches an impartial investigation into the incident.

The management of Nnamdi Azikiwe University (UNIZIK), Awka, has condemned the alleged assault of a lecturer in the Department of Chinese Studies following an allegation of attempted sexual misconduct involving a female student.

The incident, which occurred on the university campus on Saturday, August 15, was captured on video and later circulated widely on social media.

In a statement issued by the university’s Director of Information and Public Relations, Aloysius Attah, the management described the incident as unfortunate and condemned the use of violence, self-help and jungle justice under any circumstances.

The university said Vice-Chancellor Ugochukwu Anyaehie had consistently maintained a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual harassment, misconduct and other forms of inappropriate behaviour.

However, it stressed that allegations of misconduct must be handled through established institutional procedures and due process, noting that no individual or group had the right to take the law into their own hands within the university.

UNIZIK has ordered an immediate, comprehensive and impartial investigation into the incident to establish the facts and circumstances surrounding the allegation and the assault.

The university said appropriate administrative processes had been activated to ensure justice was served fairly and objectively to all parties involved.

It reiterated its commitment to protecting the dignity, safety and wellbeing of staff and students and promised to take decisive action against anyone found to have violated its rules.

The management said further developments would be communicated after the investigation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *